You can create this marvellous bright and fun carnival leaf collar to wear at a school carnival, or just for fun. It is really easy to make! You can follow the video – pause at each stage – or follow (or download) the instructions below. Remember to get an adult to help with any difficult parts, like measuring.
You will need:
- 4 sheets of A4 coloured paper
- Other coloured paper – any colours you like
- A tape measure
- A pencil
Step 1: Take your measurements
Only do this bit with the help of a grown up!
Take a tape measure and measure three places on your body so you can see how big your leaf needs to be.
- Measure across from one shoulder to the other shoulder – write this down. This is how wide you want your collar to be.
- Next measure around the top of your head – write this down. This is the size for the hole in the neck part of your collar.
- Measure down from your neck to your tummy – write this down. This is how long you want your collar to be.
Step 2: Design your leaf
Take a white sheet of paper and make a sketch of how you want your leaf to look. You can copy the one in the video, or create your own leaf shape. The sketch will help you transfer your design to the larger leaf base.
Step 3: Glue 4 or more pieces of green paper together
Depending on your size, glue 4 or more pieces of green paper together. Four sheets is usually large enough for a child, but a bigger person might need more!
Step 4: Draw on your design, and cut it out!
Once your paper is glued together, so you have one huge piece, you can sketch on your design. Make sure you put in the right measurements like in your design!
Step 5: Decorate!
Get some other coloured paper, any colours will do but make it bright and cheerful! Cut out different size petal or leaf shapes. When you have about 10-20 of these you can start sticking them on in a design. You can layer them on top of each other and decorate around the whole of your leaf so you look carnival-ready!
That’s it! You are now ready to wear this to your school carnival!